Changing State: Responding to Negative Emotions for Positive Growth | E06
YouTube 3 Coaches 1 Topic
Last night we talked about ‘Changing State’ and shared some ways to control how we respond to our emotions. Negative emotions can be seen as life’s way of giving you that sign, prompt, and nudge for you to reevaluate the situation you find yourself in.
Some days are easier than others. Some situations are obvious whilst others have been building over a period of time. Sometimes you can catch yourself falling into that negative state and then there are times when it has come out of nowhere. When you become aware that you are in this state or someone points it out to you, take a moment and ask yourself:
• What is really going on right now?
• Where am I mentally, emotionally, and physically?
• What about this situation makes me feel less than, out of control, uneasy, and angry?
• Are there any triggers or patterns?
• What is the learning/lesson here?
• What do I need to do to change my current predicament?
• What will be the outcome if I do nothing?
• What will be the outcome if I do something?
• What can I do right now to alter my mental, emotional or physical state?
However, whilst we touched on the lighter side of this topic we are fully aware that there are situations and circumstances that will require you to reach out to a trained and licensed mental health provider:
• Feeling anxious, depressed, or suffering from other mood disorders
• Finding it hard to look after and care for your children or yourself
• Are self-harming
• Struggling with an eating disorder
• Going through grief
• Having suicidal thoughts
• Avoid going to work/school, seeing friends/family, and social events
• You suffer from physical health conditions
• You have or had trauma that is impacting your life and well-being
• Addiction - drinking, drugs, medication, gambling, excessive shopping, sex, risky behaviours
If you are aware that a friend or family member is struggling at home, work and/or with their relationships then here are a few ways you can support them:
• Be patient
• Listen to what is and isn’t being said
• Try not to disregard or challenge their feelings
• Remind them that help is available
• Reassure them that you care about them
• Encourage them to talk with a mental health care provider
• A touch, smile, or hug says so much
Donna Burfield is a fully licensed, certified and accredited coach. She is the founder of Joy and Purpose Coaching, Coaches Supporting Coaches – Dubai and CSC Certified Coaches Group. Donna works with parents to prioritize their family's well-being, find their tribe, set clear boundaries, and enhance and strengthen their parenting skills by implementing easy, fun, and effective tools through awareness, action, responsibility, and accountability.
As well as her private coaching practice Donna is building a coaching community where coaches can come together to collaborate, inspire and support one another in their personal and professional development. Building an ethical and professional coaching business is one area in which Donna supports the community by connecting them with experts from legal, business licenses, and insurance and building their own websites. For more info about Donna or to book a call click on the link https://linktr.ee/donnaburfield
Jihen Gatti (PCC – ICF Accredited) runs XpandCoach, an executive Coaching, and Leadership Consultancy practice. She is passionate about thriving in uncertainty, guiding leaders and teams dealing with new challenges to move forward with energy and focus and get the results they want.
Garineh Serpekian is a Board-Certified Health and Wellness Coach, with functional medicine and integrative nutrition experience. She specializes in digestive and hormonal health and supports her clients struggling with low energy, brain fog, or stubborn excess weight in addition to their chronic or autoimmune symptoms. Her approach is focused on root cause resolution of symptoms, with personalized sustainable food and lifestyle changes. Garineh is tri-lingual and speaks fluent English, Arabic, and Armenian.
#mentalwellbeing #mentalhealth #changingstate #choices #joyandpurposecoaching #action #moving #music #joy #findingyourtribe #support #coachessupportingcoaches #coaching #health #change #work #school #healthcare #learning